What is Skin?
The screen is an outer covering of the body and it is the largest organ of the body. Skin cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer.
What is Skin Cancer?
- Skin cancer is defined as the abnormal growth of skin cells.
- Skin cancer is a malignant lesion of the skin.
- A primary cause of skin cancer is overexposure to the sun.
Types of skin cancer
Basal cell carcinoma
- A most common form of skin cancer.
- Basal cell carcinoma is a locally arising from epidermal basal cells.
- It is rarely metastasized but underlying tissue destruction can progress to organ tissue.
Types of basal cell carcinoma –
- Nodular basal cell carcinoma ( most common )
- Ulcerative basal cell carcinoma
- Superficial basal cell carcinoma
- Pigmented basal cell carcinoma
- Turban basal cell carcinoma
- Basosquamous basal cell carcinoma.
Squamous cell carcinoma
carcinoma occurs due to the uncontrolled growth of abnormal squamous cells. It is the second most common form of skin cancer. Squamous cell carcinoma is slow-growing skin cancer. Squamous cell carcinoma is a malignant tumour of the keratinizing epidermal cell that affects the surrounding structure and metastasizes to lymph nodes. Squamous cells are small, flat cells in the outer layer of skin.
Melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer. Melanoma is more dangerous skin cancer than other skin cancers. It is a cancerous malignancy, in which abnormal melanocytes are present in the epidermis and the dermis. It is a highly metastasis to the brain, bone, lungs and liver.
Cause of Skin cancer
Basal cell carcinoma – ultraviolet rays ( sunlight ) UV rays can damage the DNA inside your skin cells.
Squamous cell carcinoma – due to long-term exposure to chemicals Human papillomavirus ( HPV ). Sunlight.
Melanoma cell carcinoma – family history
Other causes of Skin Cancer –
- chronic skin damage due to repeated injury
- Outdoor occupation
- Age after 60 years age
- Skin irritation and injury
- Genetic predisposition
- Ionizing radiation.
Signs and symptoms of Skin cancer
- Change screen color size and shape.
- Skin lesions.
- Pruritus and itching.
- Red, pink and white lesions.
- Painful lesions.
- Skin burning.
- Pearly or waxy bump.
- Kaposi sarcoma.
- Markel cell carcinoma.
- Sebaceous gland carcinoma.
Diagnosis of Skin cancer
- History collection and physical examination.
- Skin biopsy ( confirmatory test )
Treatment of Skin cancer
- Cryotherapy – use liquid nitrogen to destroy tissue.
- Excisional surgery – cut out the growth skins.
- Chemotherapy – drugs are used to kill cancerous cells.
- Photodynamic therapy – the use of laser light and drugs to destroy the cancer cell.
- Radiation therapy – energy beam used to kill cancer cells.
- Immunotherapy – application of cream to your skin to kill cancer cells.
- Biological therapy – stimulate the immune system to fight cancer cells.
Nursing management of Skin cancer
- Nurses conduct physical examinations and general appearance of the patient.
- Monitor vital signs for other diagnostic findings.
- Assess signs and symptoms of skin cancers.
- Instruct clients to perform daily hygiene activity and monthly self-skin assessments.
- Avoid sun exposure and encourage you to use sun cream and lotions.
- Clean and self-use cloth wear.
- Always keep the patient in a cool environment.
- Advice to the patient to avoid contact with chemicals.
- Educate about monthly skin tests.
- If any allergy is present in the body immediately consult with a physician.
- Educate about not doing any outdoor activity in the afternoon.
- Provide health education.
Read also – Blood Cancer (leukemia cancer)
Key Points about Skin Cancer
- The largest organ in our body is – Skin.
- Abnormal growth of skin cells in – Skin cancer.
- The most common type of skin cancer – Basal cell carcinoma.
- Most common basal cell carcinoma – Nodular basal cell carcinoma.
- Carcinoma occurs due to abnormal growth of squamous skin cells – Squamous cell carcinoma.
- The most serious skin cancer is – Melanoma.
- The most common cause of skin cancer – Ultraviolet rays.
- Confirmatory test of skin cancer – Skin Biopsy.
- Skin cancer is represented by – Black Ribbon.
- A most common sign of skin cancer is – Abnormal Spink or brown spot, patch, or mole.
General FAQs About Skin Cancer
What is the Largest organ in our body?
The largest organ in our body is Skin.
What is Skin Cancer?
Abnormal growth of skin cells in – Skin cancer.
What is the common type of skin cancer?
Basal cell carcinoma is the most common type of skin cancer.
What is the most commonly basal cell carcinoma?
Nodular basal cell carcinoma is most commonly basal cell carcinoma.
What is the most serious skin cancer?
Melanoma is the most serious cancer in our body
What is the most common cause of skin cancer?
Ultraviolet rays are the most common cause of skin cancer
What is the Confirmatory test of skin cancer?
Skin Biopsy Confirmatory test of skin cancer
Skin cancer is represented by
Black Ribbon is a sign of skin cancer
What is the Sign of skin cancer?
Black Ribbon is a sign of skin cancer.
What is the most common sign of skin cancer?
Abnormal Spink or brown spot, patch or mole is most common sign in skin cancer.